A Thai military court on Tuesday rejected allegations by two Uighur defendants that they were tortured in custody to confess to bombing a popular Hindu shrine in Bangkok last year that left 20 people dead. The court then postponed the rest of the hearing to next month because no Uighur-language translator was available.
In previous preliminary hearings, the two men who are from the Uighur-speaking region of China have said they were tortured and mistreated by their jailors in military detention, and on Tuesday pleaded to be moved to a different correctional facility.
“After investigating these claims, the court finds them to be false and the defendants will remain where they are since this is a case of national security,” one of the three judges on the panel ruled.
The judges, who have not been identified in keeping with protocol in military trials, said the defendants’ safety may be at risk in a regular correctional facility because of the high-profile nature of the case, and that they were safer in military detention. Read More