China says video of dazed Syrian boy pulled from rubble may be fake

(From RTE)

China’s state broadcaster has questioned the authenticity of the video of Syrian boy Omran Daqneesh which went viral worldwide, alleging it may have been faked as part of a Western “propaganda war”.

A still image from a video posted on social media shows a boy with bloodied face sitting in an ambulance, after an airstrike

A still image taken on August 18, 2016 from a video posted on social media said to be shot in Aleppo on August 17, 2016, shows a boy with bloodied face sitting in an ambulance after an airstrike in Syria. Social Media

The video showed the stunned-looking five-year-old covered in blood and dust after an airstrike in Aleppo last week, with the US State Department calling the child “the real face” of the Syrian war.

China supports the Syrian government led by Bashar al-Assad and is close to Russia, both of which have carried out strikes on rebel-held areas of Aleppo.

China’s official broadcaster CCTV questioned the video of Omran in a weekend report, showing the harrowing footage with the subtitle “Video suspected of being fake.” Read More



Categories: Asia Times News & Features, China, Middle East

Tags: , , , , , , ,