(From the New York Times)
The F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, said Wednesday that the couple who waged a shooting rampage in San Bernardino, Calif., last week had been talking of an attack as far back as two years ago, before the United States gave the woman approval to enter the country.
The couple were “talking to each other about jihad and martyrdom before they became engaged and married and were living in the U.S.,” Mr. Comey said.
Mr. Comey said that the “investigation to date shows that they were radicalized before they started courting or dating each other online.”
The couple, Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik, met online before she moved to the United States in 2014.
Ms. Malik entered the United States on a K-1 visa, a 90-day visa given to fiancés planning to marry Americans.
Mr. Comey’s statements show that the couple were motivated by extremist views long before the rise of the Islamic State, which grabbed large swaths of territory in Syria and Iraq in 2014.
Facebook has provided the F.B.I. with a post made by Ms. Malik during the attacks, in which she pledged allegiance to the Islamic State. That post had led investigators to believe that the group was at the least an inspiration for the attack.
Mr. Comey said that the F.B.I. believes that the couple were inspired by foreign extremist groups.
“We are working very hard to see if anyone else was involved in assisting, equipping or helping them,” he said. “And did they have other plans?” Read more