A German Islamist features on a list of the 16 most-wanted people being hunted by police in the wake of the Paris attacks, The Local said quoting a Der Spiegel report on Friday.
Named only as Hüseyin D, the man from Dinslaken, in the Ruhr region of North Rhine-Westphalia, is believed to be part of the so-called “Lohberger Brigade” – a group of young men who went to fight alongside Islamic State (IS) jihadists in Syria.
Members of the group were in close contact with Abdelhamid Abaaoud, the supposed organizer of the attacks in Paris that left 130 people dead and hundreds injured after bomb and Kalashnikov attacks across the north and east of the French capital.
In a blog post on the German connection to IS and the Paris attacks, jihadist monitoring site Erasmus Monitor showed a picture of Hüseyin D posing with Abaaoud.
Erasmus Monitor reports that the Dinslakener had joined his brother Hasan in IS’ de-facto capital, Raqqa, in Syria at the end of 2014 with a group of eight other men from their hometown.
Hasan was killed in a US airstrike in Kobane in December 2014, while Hüseyin remained close to Abaaoud.
Hüseyin is also the subject of a travel ban from entering Germany, Bayerische Rundfunk reported on December 2.
Number one on the list of 16 suspects German police are seeking in connection with the attacks is Salah Abdeslam, who has been on the run since November 13.
Arrest warrant against suspect on the run
According to Reuters, Moroccan authorities have issued an arrest warrant for Salah Abdeslam, the Paris attack suspect who is at the center of an international manhunt, according to the Moroccan police.
The warrant was issued at the end of last month. But a Moroccan security source said it was not clear whether Abdeslam had fled to Morocco or North Africa. Last month, German police launched a search after a tip-off that he was there.
Abdeslam, whose brother blew himself up in the Paris attacks which killed at least 130 people, has been on the run since Nov. 13. As a French citizen, he can travel freely in the European Union’s Schengen area where there are no border controls.
One of the attackers was French army reject
Foued Mohamed-Aggad, one of three young men who shot dead 90 people at a Paris concert hall a month ago, was turned down by the French army and possibly also by the police before Islamic State took him on to fight for them.
Army recruiters in the eastern city of Strasbourg decided after conducting physical and psychological tests that he was not a suitable candidate to bear arms as a French soldier.
Mohamed-Aggad’s identity was only established this week because of a text message his mother Fatima received.
The text came from his wife, Hadjira, in Syria. It told the mother of four that her younger son had died “with his brothers” on Nov. 13, the night of the attacks.