French police identify third attacker at Bataclan music hall

(From agencies)

A 23-year-old man from the eastern French city of Strasbourg has been identified as the third bomber involved in the Nov. 13 attacks at Paris’s Bataclan music hall, police sources said Wednesday.

Foued Mohamed Aggad

Foued Mohamed Aggad

Foued Mohamed Aggad went to Syria with his brother and a group of friends at the end of 2013, according to a source close to the investigation.

Most of the others were arrested in spring last year upon their return to France but Aggad stayed on in Syria, the source said.

The Bataclan shootings were part of a co-ordinated attack that killed 130 people in Paris and which was claimed by the Islamic State (IS) group.

Ninety people died in the assault on the iconic concert hall in the French capital’s trendy east, in addition to the three bombers.

The two other assailants have been named as Samy Amimour, 28, from Drancy, northeast of Paris, and Ismail Omar Mostefai, 29, who lived in Chartres, southwest of Paris.

Aggad was identified at the end of last week after his DNA matched with those of his family members, the police source said.

His shamed father said if he had known what his son was going to do, he would have killed him earlier.

Speaking to Le Parisien newspaper, Said Mohamed-Abbad said he would have rather his son had died in Syria or Iraq than return to France and commit the atrocity at the Bataclan.

“What human being could do that? If I had known that one day he would do something like that, I would have killed him earlier,” he said.

“He lied to us,” said his father. “He led us to believe he was going on holiday, but instead went to Syria. Since 2013, I haven’t been able to sleep. “He was a quiet child. He was born and raised in France. He was educated in France.”

The last time they had contact was four or five months ago during a phone conversation.

“As usual, he said nothing of his daily life, where he was or what he did. He just answered every question OK, OK and spoke of jihad,” Said said.

After a while, the father lost all contact with his son.

“What can you do? It was not him anymore. It was someone else whom I was speaking to. It was someone who had been brainwashed. It served no purpose to try and communicate with him,” he said.

Like his brother Karim, the first sign’s that Foued had become radicalised was when he began to grow his beard and pray.

“We could not imagine, what would happen next. Honestly, we couldn’t understand it and couldn’t see this coming.”

Categories: Asia Times News & Features

Tags: , , , , , ,