Shenzhen police have identified the man who fell to his death from a building Sunday night as Xu Yuanan, the director of Shenzhen Guangming New District Urban Management Bureau.
Xu had approved the construction waste dump that triggered a massive landslide in Shenzhen last week killing seven people and leaving 75 people unaccounted for, state media said.
The investigation has ruled out the possibility of homicide.
Guangdong to probe all waste sites
The southern province of Guangdong, one of the country’s biggest industrial bases, will check all construction waste sites in the wake of a deadly landslide to ensure none are in dangerous locations or poorly managed, state media said Sunday.
The Guangdong government said there were many problems with the management of building waste sites, including safety issues, state news agency Xinhua reported.
Sites found operating in “forbidden zones” such as close to hospitals, residential neighbourhoods, kindergartens and rail lines will need to be moved immediately, with cities responsible for moving them, Xinhua added.
Those found responsible for illegal or poorly managed sites will be prosecuted, while efforts need to be made to speed up development of a risk management system, it said.
Chinese mine owner drowns himself
Quoting a morning briefing by the rescue command centre, state media said Ma Congbo, president of Yurong Commerce and Trade Ltd. Co., was assisting with rescue efforts on Sunday morning when he jumped into a mine well and drowned.
Since the mine collapse on Friday, rescuers have pulled 11 workers to safety and recovered one body. Another 17 miners are yet to be found.
Gypsum is a soft sulfate mineral that is widely used in construction.
Chinese authorities have typically meted out harsh punishments, including jail sentences, to company management and local work safety officials following major work safety disasters. Still, lack of regulatory oversight prevails, and cost-conscious management fails to pay enough heed to work safety.
The mine collapse came just days after a landslide from a man-made pileup of construction waste in the southern city of Shenzhen killed two and left another 75 missing and presumed dead.
Authorities have ruled that the landslide was not a geological disaster but a work safety incident, adding to China’s list of major man-made disasters in recent years.
In a rare move, Shenzhen’s top officials, including its party chief and mayor, bowed deeply at a press conference as an apology.