(From Al Jazeera)
A bus carrying members of the presidential guard in Tunis was struck by an explosion, Interior Ministry says
Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi declared a state of emergency on Tuesday after an explosion struck a bus carrying members of the presidential guard in the country’s capital, killing at least 12 people and injuring more than a dozen others.
The blast occurred on Mohamed V Avenue in the center of the capital, Tunis. Security and presidential sources said the explosion was a “terrorist attack,” before adding that it was unclear whether it was caused by a bomb or rocket fired at the bus.
Essebsi said Tunisia would enforce a curfew between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m., stating that the country was “in a state of war against terrorism.”
“We will continue with this war with all the people and ammunition that we have,” he said. “Victory will be on the side of Tunisia.”
No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack against the presidential guard, an elite security force that protects only the president. However, the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) claimed two major attacks earlier this year in the country.
Police fanned out throughout central Tunis after Tuesday’s explosion, and ambulances rushed to the scene, evacuating wounded and dead. Prime Minister Habib Essid and Interior Minister Najem Gharsalli visited the scene of the attack after it was cordoned off by police. Read more