Taxis refuse to take Aboriginal star second time in a week

(From ABC)

Senior Victorian Australian of the Year, Indigenous elder Jack Charles, is considering legal action after being refused a taxi ride for the second time in a week.

Jack Charles

Jack Charles

Charles’s manager, Patrice Capogreco, said the pair had arrived at Melbourne Airport from Adelaide at 3 pm Friday and were lining up at the taxi rank.

“The attendant allocated us a bay, and the bay had a taxi waiting,” she said.

“I was on my phone and Uncle Jack walked ahead, and as he approached the cab to get in, it took off.”

Capogreco said there was no apparent reason for the taxi to drive off.

“He didn’t move forward to another bay, there were no other passengers ahead of him, he just took off at the airport,” she said.

“It all happened so quickly, the attendant who was monitoring the rank was horrified at what had happened and quickly got us another taxi.”

Earlier this week, after Charles and Capogreco were leaving the Victorian Australian of the Year awards ceremony, he was asked by the driver to pay upfront, despite having a CabCharge. Read More

 



Categories: Asia Times News & Features, Southeast Asia

Tags: , , ,