Japan’s top government spokesman expressed outrage Monday over the killing of a Japanese citizen who became the second foreigner to be gunned down in Bangladesh in less than a week.
Kunio Hoshi was shot to death by unidentified assailants in northern Bangladesh Saturday.
“Such a dastardly act should never be repeated. I feel outraged by such an act,” Yoshihide Suga, Japan’s chief Cabinet secretary, told reporters in Tokyo Monday. He extended condolences to Hoshi’s family, and said the Japanese government was seeking a full investigation into the case.
The Islamic State (IS) group had issued a statement claiming responsibility for Saturday’s attack, according to the SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors jihadi postings online.
The report could not be independently confirmed. The IS also claimed responsibility for the killing of an Italian aid worker last week in Bangladesh’s capital adding more foreigners will be targeted.
Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan have ruled out the possibility of the IS presence in Bangladesh.
“”Someone will post something online … why should we accept that unless we prove that? We cannot accept that,” she told reporters.
“Oh, it’s absolutely rubbish, there is no IS here, no way,” Khan said Sunday. “Why would IS do this here? These are incidents for creating instability in the country.”
Hasina blamed the country’s main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party and its key ally, Jamaat-e-Islami, for the attacks, accusing the groups of trying to destabilize the country.