Veteran South Korean football administrator Chung Mong-joon announced Monday he will stand for the FIFA presidency, saying it’s “time to restore common sense” at the sport’s international governing body mired in corruption allegations.
Chung, formerly a FIFA vice president, launched his bid for the top job in world football at a press conference in the French capital, where FIFA was founded in 1904.
Chung had previously told the South Korean media that he would run for FIFA president, but this was his first declaration before the international press.
In his statement, Chung said FIFA is undergoing “a profound crisis” and he is just the right person to lead the organization out of the mess.
“Under these circumstances, the FIFA president must be a crisis manager and a reformer. He must be more than just a head of the technical department” he said. “After decades of an ever-widening circle of corruption, FIFA needs a leader who can bring back common sense, transparency and accountability. For any successful organization to be free of corruption, it needs periodic change of leadership.”
As corruption scandals have seen several FIFA officials arrested and indicted, incumbent head Sepp Blatter, who won his fifth term in May, has announced his resignation. He will remain in his post until the election scheduled for Feb. 26.
The deadline to register as a candidate is Oct. 26. Read more